10 Things I Promise to Do Better
When I was a teenager (no too long ago), I always felt extremely embarrassed when the topic of sex came up while around my mom, even if it was just a kissing scene in a movie. Heck! I'm now an adult, and I still refuse to watch those kissing scenes with her in the same room. For some reason, I still feel ashamed to be openly interested in anything remotely close to sex or intamacy in front of her. Silly huh? But not so silly for some teens and adults. When I'm a mother there are things that I will teach my daughter.
1. About how to be proud of the amazing masterpiece -- her body
2. How to use a condom and other safe sex methods
3. About contraceptives
4. About STIs and STDs
5. About how to say no
6. How to know when it's time to say yes
7. That it's completely natural to have urges
8. How to control those urges
9. That she is able to talk to me about anything
10. And that it is okay if she makes mistakes, although I have taught her everything I could
Although I didn't learn all that, and although I think I turned out pretty well, not everyone will have the same luck. It's also never too late to learn. If you want to know and no one teaches you, you may have to be the one to seek information. For example, speak with a guidance counselor or point it out to your parents because they may not even be sure how to bring it up as a topic for discussion. They may be equally as embarrassed as us.