Little actions > big words
What does depression feel like? Hard to tell.
Some say they feel like they have 0% motivation, 0% ambition, 0% energy to try anything anymore. It's like life has given up on them and no matter how much they want, they can't do anything anymore. Their negative emotions become even more intense, as they see how people see their struggles but aren't able to understand them and so they give up easily... Or that's how the world is seen from the eyes of a depressed person.
If you find yourself in this situation, the following 4 steps might help you out a little bit:
1. Start small
- What if you just try to get out of bed and open the window? That's an important step!
- What if you wanted to read a whole chapter in one day but you only read three paragraphs? It's still a start, don't give up!
- Small actions are always better than big words because even if you can seem slower than others, in the long run you will have a stronger structure!
2. Don't feel ashamed for how you feel
- You might feel like it's wrong to feel how you feel and that's why it's better to keep everyone away from you. The only thing that is wrong when thinking like that is that people actually do love and care for you, no matter how much you might push them away.
- Instead of trying to isolate yourself, let them know of what you need. If you need just to hug them without talking, dare to make this wish known. You might be surprised how good things will turn out to be!
3. Try new things
- Even if it might be scary, sometimes just trying something new it's really great for our wellbeing. Don't think about complicated things like a new job or a new activity that involves a lot of people. Something new can mean whatever you want.
- Make a list of things you'd like to try and just dare to try it. Nothing is perfect at first so don't feel discouraged if you don't make the perfect move. Allow yourself to have fun.
So, remember, don't rush yourself just for others to notice your steps! :D
Many people have no idea what you are going through.
Start short and don't punish yourself when you couldn't do it. Just be thankful for as many times as you did it right and try again tomorrow.